During a job interview, usually towards the end of the interview, you will be asked if you have any questions. This is an opportunity to find out more about the company and the job to make sure it’s a good match.
Asking questions also gives you the opportunity to reference some of your qualities, skills and experience. Be very specific in the questions you ask, and you will have the opportunity to impress your potential employer with your knowledge and interest in the industry, as well as determine if this is the right job for you.
Top 10 Interview Questions to Ask an Employer
Review the top 10 best interview questions to ask an employer during a job interview. That way you’ll be prepared to ask questions and you’ll be able to get as much insight as possible into the position and the employer.
- How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
- How would you describe a typical day or week on the job?
- Is this a new position?
- What is the company’s management style?
- What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
- Would you like a list of references?
- If I am extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
- What else can I tell you about my qualifications?
- When can I expect to hear from you?
- Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Here are a few more questions to ask if the others on the list have already been covered by the interviewer.
- Do you have a policy for helping new members of the team get on board?
- What are biggest challenges of this job?
- What are the biggest rewards of working at this job and for this company?
- What did the person who previously held this job go on to do?
- What is the best part of working for this company?
- Is there any you don’t like about working here?
- What type of background do you feel would be best suited for success in this position?
What Not to Ask
There are some things that you shouldn’t ask at a job interview. Here are 25 things you should never ask during an interview.
More Interview Questions
More Questions to Ask During an Interview
More questions for interviewees to ask an employer during a job interview. Includes general questions for all types of jobs, as well as specific questions for a variety of occupations and types of interviews.